Presented by Andy Nguyen.
Do you have a client that has either just started a business or purchased one?
Chances are your client would have had to work out whether there are any
intangible assets on hand such as copyrights, trademarks, patents,
software, client lists and of course, goodwill. The next step involves
working out the tax treatment – which can be quite confusing! Should it
be capitalised and if so, can tax depreciation be claimed?
Or perhaps you have a client who has developed a new whiz-bang app which they now want to commercialise?
For app developers, tax issues abound with their new invention.
Alternatively, do you have a client in the process of implementing a new website or internal software system?
Recent ATO guidance on website development cost seems to contradict
previously held views. The good news however is that in some cases, you
can claim the $20,000 instant asset write-off!
This webinar will guide you through the various forms of intellectual
property and help you to determine the appropriate tax treatment for
- Identify the forms of intellectual property which are on capital account
- Identify the forms of intellectual property to which a deduction is allowed under the capital allowance provisions
- Understand how software is treated for tax purposes and the use of software development pools
- Understand the tax issues in relation to know-how and client lists
- Identify the practical tax issues for app developers, including the commercialisation of their product and use of CGT roll-overs
- Understand the Commissioner’s new approach in relation to the
tax treatment of website development expenditure, including when the
instant asset write-off may be available
Recorded on Wednesday, 15 March 2017.
1 CPD Hour